Sunday, September 6, 2015

What's in my art journal? - A New Art Journal

Hey folks,


I think it's important to recognize that art is not always perfect. I used to beat myself up if a project didn't come out how I imagined it.  Now I just embrace it and move on.  Here is a perfect example of imperfection.

I took a pad of 12 in x 18 Canson watercolor paper (15 sheets) and folded each piece in half, creating a 12 in x 9 in page. Then I made 5 signatures (each signature had 3 pieces of paper).  Next I did some coptic stitching, AND this is were I started going wrong.  Stitching the individual signatures went well it was the stitching of the signatures to signature that somehow got off track.  However, at the moment I am unaware of this fact.  I'm focused on the finished piece.



The back part of the watercolor pad is a very thick piece of cardboard.  I simply cut that in half to use as the back and front cover of the journal.  The front of the watercolor pad is not as sturdy as the back so I cut two strips for the spine and glue them together for a little more stability.

I had a beautiful piece of handmade Japanese paper that I used to cover all of these pieces with. I really thought I measured well on this part but NO, I didn't.  To put the entire book together, I placed the book inside the cover.  Here I notice that the measurements are off and that part of the pages will be seen peeking out from the cover.  There's nothing I can do about that.  So, I glued the top  of the book to the inside of the top cover and did the same on the last page.



The heck with the mistakes, it's a beautiful journal that I couldn't wait to christen with a new stencil I cut.  I intend to make another journal using a much larger pad.  I'll be sure to post it for ya!


As always, thanks for your visit.  Until the next blog...enjoy!

Carol

1 comment:

  1. I love your talent, sharing and wonderful presentation. Your page is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete