Sunday, January 29, 2017

What's on Deck?



My Son's are on deck, literally!!

I rarely post about my children cause I like to keep it about the art.  But when they become the art....well I gotta share.

In case you don't know, a skateboard deck is the board that the skateboarder stands on and is commonly tricked out with some amazing artwork on the underside. When they are displayed, they are usually displayed showing the artwork.  This deck belongs to my youngest son who hasn't skateboarded in over two years.  I've been waiting for just the right opportunity. Ok, honestly, my first opportunity was to through it away, it's been by the front door forever!!! A second look, and it was a canvas...you know how that goes.



Yesterday, one of my older sons posted a picture of him and his younger brother.  I can't explain how much I love this picture.  They are both a couple of characters and I miss them TREMENDOUSLY! (I probably shouldn't say it that loud).


In keeping with the grunginess of the deck, I didn't even wipe the dirt off, I dove right in. I'm working on the top, not the underside.  I first slapped some black gesso here and there but mainly concentrated on the area that I wanted to put the photo.  after that dried I threw in some white gesso again mainly concentrated on one area.

Next, when the last layer of gesso was dried I tore the edges off around the entire picture, which was printed on regular printing paper.  I put a thick layer of heavy gel over the white gesso and smoothed the picture faced down over top of it.



Late in the evening when it was completely dried, I really should have waited until this morning but I couldn't.  I spritzed water over the back of the picture and gently started rubbing the paper off to reveal the transferred picture.  Later I put a coat of gel over top of the picture.  I wish I would have thought of using a matte gel, because there's a glare.


The rest of the fun was had by stenciling, spraying and dripping acrylic paint.  This deck is ready to be hung.








I love that this deck has a story all it's own, and like my boys, as I still refer to them, it's a lil rough around the edges, a lot of wear and tear, spontaneous, fun, creative and forever brothers.

Thanks for your visit today, I'd love to hear from you.  Until the next blog...enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. You have not just created a way cool piece of art, but a priceless heirloom! Amazing work here, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we need to take back items which others tend to disregard, you created I great work of art. Maybe one day your Grands will also find the skateboard a work and use it! Wouldn't that me a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, now that would be special. Thanks Sherri

      Delete