Sunday, March 18, 2018

What's in my art journal? A page in motion




Hello,

I wanted to share one of my favorite art journal pages.  First, let me just gush about this paper. I'm using 70lb drawing paper by Strathmore, that's been folded into an 8 page 9x6 journal. I the put thin thin swipes of gesso on the pages here and there.  I just want to HUG this journal.  It's not stiff at all and has a very nice feel to it.  It's hard to verbalize.  And the best part is that it stands up to my wet media and lays flat, not much warping. OOOOH it feels so good though!    Ok, I got that out of my system...

Before I folded this paper down to my journal size pages, I stamped the entire sheet of paper with a handcarved background stamp (I sell the cling version, Round n Round, in my Etsy shop)



The Round n Round stamp is a quarter repeat stamp.  You first stamp the image then rotate the stamp 90° and repeat 3 times to get a larger print (so fun to carve btw). Because I can't see through the rubber stamp like a cling stamp,  I number the corners so I know which corner I'm working with to get my larger print.  For example, I'm using #1 when I rotate to the right, the stamp should be in the same position with the #1 in the left corner.    Which ever corner I decide to use,  I always make sure it's on the top left.



Top left # 1 ,top right #2,bottom left #3,bottom right #4





Depending on the stamp you may be able to get different images by using different corners of the stamp.  Notice the difference between the top and bottom images.  The circle in thecenter top square comes from  corner #4 when it meets at 90° all around and the larger circle in the  bottom  square is corner #1 all around

Next, I used the mask from one of my stencils (also in the shop) along with some Dylusions acrylic paints.  Then used modeling past through a Tim Holtz stencil.





The sense of motion on this page is what makes it one of my favorites.  I always reach for this page when I'm looking for inspiration. Do you have a favorite page or project that you keep coming back to?

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your visit(s).  Until the next blog...enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Carol. almost Spring and we hope to see you again on our return trip to New England! A great post today! I'm intrigued by your folded Journal! Can you tell me the size of the original paper (having trouble with the math here!) and where I might purchase it. I loved how you marked the rotating stamp on the back. You have shared a great journal page and it is definitely Art In Motion. I have long been a lover of tag art and so it is those that I return too often for inspiration. I sometimes feel guilty about using my own art as inspiration, but, hey, if you like it, why not? Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, I buy pads of 18 x 24 paper. I also use the same size in mix media and sketch paper, Michael's is my go to place. For folding, YouTube has a lot of videos on making "Zines" though they are a lot smaller, any of the folding methods will work. Different folding methods will give you different page sizes. I too, love working with tags. They are great for sooo many things and what better inspiration then your own art! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete